Monday, August 13, 2007

Joys of Teaching III

Mr Fong has once reported on Twitter that he greatly enjoys teaching this new influx of students. Being Sweet, Tenacious, Understanding, Perfect, Interesting and Dedicated (Not S.T.U.P.I.D ah), they are a terrific bunch to teach! Well, don't you all want to go WOW........? (:


Kids are a wonderful bunch, and their innocence is well-loved. However, sometimes we, the unfortunate teachers, realize that they do have some flaws, that hinder learning and incite occasional spurts of irritation and anger in us. The hope behind today's lecture post is: Try to find out the reasons behind their actions!


Mr Fong is blessed with one student, who is a wonderful kid, except the occasionally-annoying fact that he cannot sit still and listen. Having to nag and chide the poor boy everytime felt like a chore to Mr Fong, and he wondered why the child always seemed to think of something else, and had an inferiority complex of not being able to pass any test.


However, he learnt why, in one recent lesson. The inferiority complex came about not through his own doing, but through constant proddings/teasings of his results. Being the older child, he was inevitably given less attention, spoilt less, and in his young eyes, 'cherished less'. As a result, he felt that he could not feel good about his own mathematical skills. By the way, this is one common barrier to doing well- the psychological aspect.


After much thought, Mr Fong has concluded that this has led to other talents. He has realized that the child has great empathy, for he understands, through experience, how being insulted feels. He treasures animals, and shows great love to those he cherishes.


Being inferior is actually inevitable, and during break one lesson, he snatched out a scrapbook and started to tenderly draw my beautiful features on an A4-sized paper. As I glanced up at him, I realized, with a jolt, how kindly and sweetly he was peering over at me, trying to draw a small portrait for me...


I smiled and continued marking, not wanting to disturb this wonderful scene of 'cute-ness' and sweetness. A tangerine, somehow crispily-sweet taste lingered in me as I realized how kids like him, no matter how distracted, were always the ones who would show gratitude, the ones who appreciated, and the ones who were truly sweet.


As I finished marking, I realized he was finishing, and decided (for once :D) to extend his break slightly until he finished this act, an act that was the epitome of such saccharine sweetness, I learnt instantaneously that every kid had some area that is definitely worth teaching.


He folded it meticulously and presented it to me, and as I took it, I saw," A NOTE FOR WINSTION FONG." As I carefully opened the 'envelope', I realized a speech bubble emanating from my picture:" Hi I am Winstion Fong, I am the Indian maths tutor of ****** (The-Student-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named)!!!"


I silently chuckled to myself, and slightly emotional over this touching gesture from my dear student, decided not to needle him for spelling my name wrongly. SO SWEET,hor :) (not me,my student! :P)

26 comments:

J@n!ce said...

Ah boy, how come you become "Indian" maths tutor? When you become an ah neh? ;)

Anonymous said...

Winston is such a funny person! His lessons are so interesting and he has made me love maths more!

Sam Chan said...

Winston, you got it right! The common barrier to doing well is the psychological aspect. Thus, teachers including parents must not be stingy to praise and gives lots of encouragement to the kids. This is indeed important for a kid to do well in their studies.

The boy/girl in the photo is really very cute! He/She is giving you a kiss?

My Best Wishes to you, Winston

Ardor of the Hearts said...

so touching :P

mr fong said...

J@nice: Haha, I just am in the kid's eyes...Must be too dark,LOL... :(

Anonymous said...

Hello Winston,
It is important as parents to support and encourage our children, something which seems to lack in todays society.
I bought my daughter many books on a variety of subjuects, but said to her, they are there if you want to use them. So when she felt like it, she would pick one up and work through a page at a time and then give it to me when she had finished. There was never any pressure, and her reward was a simple gold star on the page, with which she would be overjoyed.
Now she is still at school as a young teenager, and attends a university once a month to complete a mathematics masterclass...so many years of patience, encouragement and praise has gone a long way.
Far too many now believe that it is down to the teachers to teach, but as parents we also share that responsibility.
Lovely post which shows that although we cannot excel at all things, there are certain things that come naturally.

mr fong said...

Anonymous: Wah so some other student is trying to stoke Mr Fong's ego...Heh :)

WaterLearner said...

Hi Winston!

If I ever need a tutor! I would look for you!

Blessings!

mr fong said...

Sam: Hello sorry for the reply :( Very busy with class today. I am so glad that you also concur- praise is 1 way to constantly preserve e self-worth of e kid.

Thanks 4 ur precious views n comments, thankful for your support. :)

Take care!

mr fong said...

Sam: Btw, sorry ah, the kid is not kissing me, it is kissing whoever is kind enough to read my little postings :) So it is for all of you!

Ardor of the Hearts: Haha,thanks for droppin by!

mr fong said...

Colin: Wow, I am mesmerized by your views. I am so proud of you- it takes so much guts and determination, for sure, to be able to achieve such teachings in your home. Beautiful...

Btw, I am not a parent yet,heh :) I am so proud of your daughter and you- your daughter for her intelligence, and you for your love and control.

I agree and suscribe to the view that when you experience something which you are poor at, you learn something from it, and life is a learning process, isn't it? :)

Thank you for your wonderful views!

mr fong said...

Hello waterlearner/Karen: Thank you for your praise, LOL you are welcome to find me at ALL times :)

Maybe when you get your kid :P Haha I might be too old to teach by then!

Thanks and take care!

Jos said...

WinstIon is also a very nice name to be called by, especially by such a lovely kid, isn't it? Well, Mr Fong, you are really doing a fine job with your posts!
I have added your blog to my Personal Favorites List on my blog, and will come back often to hear more of your stories! Kindest regards, Jos:)

mr fong said...

Hello Jos: Wow,thanks for the add man.I am so grateful for your kindness...Winstion sounds like a flower! Oops. ;p

Thank you Jos for your frequent encouragement, hope that we can all appreciate kids for what they are! I am still learning!

Thank you and best wishes.. :)

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Winston, I loved this post! It sounds like this boy looks up to you, which puts you in the rare position of making a difference in his life. I don't know if you're planning on becoming a teacher, but you're obviously gifted. Your ingenuity will allow you to make a real difference in children's lives. I still remember the teacher who encouraged me to write. I may not be a famous writer but I have a passion that has filled my life with joy. To be able to do that for a person is truly a gift. You are lucky.

Keep up the great work both in tutoring and in writing Eat Your Maths. You're doing a wonderful job of both.

Ann

A Nice Place In The Sun

Anonymous said...

Hello Winston,
So many blogs and so little time lol.

Found you on BTF too, also noticed that you have been hit by the spam brigade....be wary of some! They are not what they appear to be.

Now waiting for your next post lol.

Have a great day,

mr fong said...

blog author ann clemmons: Wow, indeed the first time I looked at your posts, I was transfixed, your command of English is second to none.

I am thankful that you loved this post, very blessed to have your kind presence here :) Thanks for your encouragement, I can be affected by tuition sometimes (discouraged, etc) and all your posts cheer me up, and give me strength and encouragement!

Thank you and Take good care, I hope to see your new post and thanks for your award! :)))))

mr fong said...

Haha, that's why I only have 1 measly blog...Lol. Hard to coordinate so many, too busy with tuition schedule too!

Wow you are waiting for me post...Heh I am grateful, will come up with one soon.

Hope you can tell me mroe about the BTF spam brigade, you are the computer whiz :)

Take care dear Colin :D

JesieBlogJourney said...

You are a great mentor! Come visit my site and teach me to be a better blogger by giving your comments and suggestions. Thanks. http://jesieblogjourney.blogspot.com

surjit singh said...

Simply wonderful.

mr fong said...

Oh no,I'm so sorry I forgot to reply all your kind comments!!! I'm truly sorry! Jesieblogjourney: Thank you so much. I am grateful and there is nothing wrong with your site, very impressive.Shall go again now.......'

Best wishes Jesie!

mr fong said...

Surjit: Wow, thanks for the wonderful comment of encouragement, hopefully you can produce even better posts then the fantastic ones you are blessing us with! :)

Jos said...

Winston, I have put a tiny little reference to you and your blog in my new post:
http://nodirecton.blogspot.com/2007/08/keeping-track-of-your-comments.html
;)

mr fong said...

Wow thanks, that was touching :)

You are kind.

eastcoastlife said...

aahhh Teacher Fong,
You're as witty as I.
And I like the way you handle your students. That was a touching post. :)

Have a great weekend!

mr fong said...

Heh sexy Mummy ECL, thanks for your kind comments. I hope it had a positive impact on all too..I'm not sure if all bloggers are as 'irritating' as me, after such a post I am hovering around hoping for comments! Oh no...*scoots off*

I have more to learn on handling students. Being a younger tutor is a big challenge, so I am still learning anyway. Life is a process for learning.

Thank you and have a great weekend yourself!