Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Comparison: You bigger or I bigger? >.<

First things first, a belated Happy 1st (month) anniversary to Eatyourmaths on the 5th of August! Thank you to the hordes of visitors who brave the evening jam or lunchtime jam to come Eatyourmaths with Mr Fong! I'm truly grateful. :) It has been 30 posts, from the hugely-popular debuts like this and this, to adverts, lame videos, to tips for everyone engulfed by exams, this blog has seen a massive lengthening of it's sidebar, getting fatter and fatter.. Must be the old age, LOL.



This post is here as dear William, a fellow patron of Eatyourmaths, took time off from his busy blogging schedule (Go check out his blog!) to send me a request for a question! Thank you! Mr Fong welcomes any Maths question from Primary school to Secondary School, and here starts the torture:



"There is a fish tank. You can drain the water with a pipe in 9 minutes. If you add water from another pipe you can fill it up in 6 minutes. If you drain and fill the fish tank at the same time, how long do you need to fill it up?"



Note: Mr Fong understands this is his holiday, and it is also a National Day Holiday for his dear students, but he has decided to get back to mild work to signify the "hard work put in by our ancestors". Yay (I am not an ancestor ok) !



Anyway this is a Comparison question, and you can kindly ignore the second part of my title, heh. According to Mr Fong, what this question is asking you is "how long do you need to fill it up", so please do not answer with classics like, "All the fish die." (oh NOOOOOO!!!)



Hear, hear...Mr Fong can already hear the noises of dissent from the crowds, like "WHY ARE WE LEARNING ABOUT FISH TANKS IN EATYOURMATHS TUTORIALS?!!! :(((((((" and "I WANT MY HOLIDAY!!!", so he has made the magnanimous decision of doing it himself! Hope that this will appease the hordes of protestors now trying to lynch the doors of my dear classroom, ehhhh!



OK,now let me suffer...



This is a question very similar to the inverse function question you savoured once (still remember anot?!), and using the similar method:



1. All the water is drained in 9 minutes. In 1 minute: 1/9 of the tank is drained.

2. All the water can fill the tank in 6 minutes. In 1 minute: 1/6 of the tank is filled.

3. Putting both pipes in at the same time, in 1 minute: Water in the tank = Amount filled - Amount drained. = 1/6 - 1/9 = 3/18 - 2/18 = 1/18 of the tank is filled.

4. 1/18 of tank filled: 1 minute.

18/18 of tank filled: 18 minutes.



Hope this is helpful.



Anyway, Mr Fong would want to congratulate Sidney, a faithful patron of Eatyourmaths tutorials, for topping her class in Mathematics Paper 1! This is after she finished last in class for the previous exam, and now, through sheer hard work and determination and Mr Fong's tutelage, she has managed to make this amazing turnaround. She is the perfect example of how hard work can get you through any problem, let alone examinations!



Congratulations, and Mr Fong says good bye! :D I would like to 'tank' you for reading these posts,LoL.

30 comments:

Sidney Ng said...

Hello Guys,
I am Sidney.Thank you Mr Fong for praising me in your blog don't need to say until i very clever.


BTW thank you


From Sidney

J@n!ce said...

You ask me to read this maths qns at 1.37am on our nation's bd... my brain is really not working at this moment in time, I could see stars spinning right in front of me !!

Looks at how you work the sum out.
You are really a genius !! *applaud*

Ardor of the Hearts said...

Thanks for your help Mr Fong. I am sure my cousin,who is taking her PSLE this year, can benefit from such a site. Great work!

mr fong said...

Sidney: What I appreciate most about you is your humility. A mark of true character is to stay yourself when the plaudits come hitting.

Hope you are more confident now, and remember, Prelims is not the most impt, PSLE is the crucial one!

Take care and keep trying, you will get it too!

mr fong said...

Hello Janice: So thankful for your comments.You always manage to flatter me and stoke my ego,LOL.

Well happy national day,hope you bring the kids out.Take care! :)

mr fong said...

ardor of the hearts: Wow I am vevy pleased. The purpose of putting all these hard work into the blog is finally showing- P6 students like Sidney can come and learn, enjoy and benefit.

I am thankful for your kind decision to show your cousin this blog, thank you for your comment! Hope you enjoyed the link,heh :)

Anonymous said...

who would want to drain and fill the tank at the same time o_o

Anonymous said...

Re: this:

Sometimes tough love is the best lesson to give. The one giving it has the brunt end of the delivery, but payoff is worth the pain :-)

mr fong said...

Hello logic, I guess it must be the brainy Mathematics teacher in school who sets it annually :)

mr fong said...

Hi deborah: You are right. It is hard, especially for a tutor (who in some ways is seen as a businessman), but impossible to shirk, especially sometimes when the revival that comes about is significant and beneficial.

Kids are the sweetest things to teach :)

Sam Chan said...

Hey! How are you?
Are you okay? Your twitter show that you got flu! Well, I think most likely you are fine... because you still are able to solve math problem - right?

Have a nice day!
Best Wishes

mr fong said...

Haha Sam you're too kind,should learn from you,lol.

I am okay,have got over it. This is only a 12-year-old question... :) My scope of work,heh.

Thank you so much for your kindness,thank thank thank you you you! :D

Hope you are doing great,and that your anniversary was good.

DubLiMan said...

I found your site through a shared link that I have with “A Nice Place in the Sun.” Would you be interested in a link swap? Please visit my site at: http://mondaymorningpower.blogspot.com. My site is “Dedicated to the Pursuit, Capture, Care & Feeding of a Positive Mental Attitude.” I have zero adds on my site. I feel that what I have to say has universal significance. If you like what you see and agree, then link my site to yours, leave me a comment on my blog that you have done so and I will immediately do the same. I only make this offer to sites that I know my readers would benefit from. I do believe that our respective readers would benefit from a shared link.

Navin said...

oh, gave my head an interesting ache one more time :0 geez

eastcoastlife said...

argghhhh.... working on a public holiday!

When I was a tuition teacher long, long time ago, (but I'm still 25 ar) I always get faxes and phone calls to help out with my student's holiday homework or parent-given assessments. Give the kids a break lah!

Anonymous said...

eatyourmaths has such a long history?

i've yet to accomplish my aim of touching THOSE dogs.. heh.

`youknowwho

mr fong said...

Monday Morning Power: Okay,anything...

Navin: I suppose it is a welcome jolt to the mind :) Haha,thank you for your kind comments that make me smile :)

mr fong said...

Hello ECL, the 25year old young lady,you are finally here,welcome to Eatyourmaths! :D

Hahaha...Yeh I agree,all my students have tons of homework for me to mark, and I have no answer key- sometimes I have to do the paper myself. It is okay with me, but 1) the kid is too stressed, and 2) I am losing my productivity.

Ya lor had to work on holiday :( But at least I managed to scoot off to M'sia :D Now PSLE is coming,have to keep pushing,sigh...

You started tutoring at 5 ah :)

mr fong said...

Hello 'anonymous',you can't be too anonymous I discovered your hidden identity in 3 seconds exactly :D

Thanks for your valued presence,lol Eatyourmaths is 1 month old with 30 posts,still at the toddler stage,hahaha...

Dun worry,I didn't get to touch them too without them stopping my fingers from doing their work on this keyboard right now (but luckily Mr Fong was smart enough to dodge the dogs! :D)

Who let the dogs out?!?! Lol..

mr fong said...

Monday Morning Power: I am scooting off to your bloggie now...!!! Thanks for your trust in Eatyourmaths, hope you have eaten your fill :D

Anonymous said...

Re: this:

Hi Winston,
I have checked your blog regularly and I think it is great! It's both funny and informative.
You have asked for help with your blog, but I think you don't need help.. You're doing FINE!
Thanks for your comments, also
And Good Luck with the Tag and Meme!
Take Care,
Jos:)

Anonymous said...

Re: this:

Hi Winston, thanks for the tag. Will do it soonest. It is more difficult than complex numbers.lol.

BTW, sorry, have been very busy revamping my blog. Will come back more often.

O ya, i also tag you again for doing the technorati-train viral. It will massively increase your blog ranking. lol.

Cheers!

mr fong said...

oh hello Jos :)Need help as I've been to your blog and your traffic is fantastic, along with the content. Hope you can give me some tips :)

Please DO update me when u post so I can visit, and thanks for the meme,I will do it soon! :D

mr fong said...

Maketraffic: You must be Archimedes,Mr Fong has not learnt Complex Numbers yet...LOL!

It is okay,hope u drop by more.Thanks for the meme and hope you can enlighten me on what it is..It is evident that Mr Fong is not exactly as com-smart as a certain Mr Gates... :)

Thanks and God bless!

Anonymous said...

Winston, your blog is approx. 30 days old and when i first visited,it looked like a some pro blogger's work. I think your blog is pretty enticing. Keep it up!!!

and ECL, i think she's 32, i read her profile somewhere else. geez ;)

Anonymous said...

Re: this:

LOL thanks for the terrific post, I was laughing throughout.

mr fong said...

Navin: Wow if you have a girlfriend you sure can charm her well man :) Hope it can achieve the purpose of enticing the readers like now for a period until the PSLE, thanks for the kind words :) I am not pro,with my html skills that can horrify even my students!

Haha you won't want ECL to see that,she might kill you for the 7-year difference :) *screams and scutters*

mr fong said...

Curiouscat, cheers...:)

WaterLearner said...

Hi Winston,

Good to read something that tickles the mind! Thanks!

WaterLearner

mr fong said...

Hello waterlearner, thanks for your kind input! Take care!