While flipping through the newspaper, Mr Fong chanced upon a newspaper article (following a tip-off from fellow conspirator- Bobo) in the Straits Times on the 3 PSLE questions that students contributed 'from memory', for SEAB refused to disclose the questions.
The SEAB does not stand for "Set Easy, Ask Bull****" (how come got four asterisks wan ah? what is it??)!
Similarly, the SEAB would never set such difficult questions to surprise you, only to share them genially over coffee with the next batch of students. Who knows, they can use the same questions to surprise different students!
Well, these are the 3 reported questions. Mr Fong (now trying to search his teacher's conscience) knows such questions are very, very common, and in fact, have been done about 100000 times during Eatyourmaths sessions.
For the first question, the students should chant,
''The difference stays the same!"
For the second question, they should echo,
"Change to equivalent fractions! Change to same denominator!"
And for the third question, Eatyourmaths
"Use the formula loh! Height = Volume divided by Base Area!"
That's all. Theoretically, 12 marks in the bag. Hehe, you must all be on your way to 'The Goal called A*!' Hahaha... However, Mr Fong has some doubts to share:
1. They interviewed a teacher with 40 years of PSLE experience, who took 19 minutes to finish three questions, with the help of a calculator.
2. An art of journalism
As Bobo noted, the Straits Times would regret if they did not report on such a big debate, and hence this reporter was writing for 'his 5 seconds of fame'. Mr Fong agrees- there was a deliberate effort to show both opposite camps with different stands about the paper. What is the purpose? It smacks to Mr Fong of pure journalism used to incite emotions in the reader, and in point 1, the teacher was most probably taken out of context (just look at the punctuation!). Take it with a pinch of salt- eh no, two pinches...!
3. The students are providing questions that they tackled almost 20 days ago.
In such a high-stress situation, it is impossible that the questions were 100% correct. True enough, question 1's phrasing raised a storm, and question 2 was seen as contradictory and too easy (you see- too hard we complain, too easy we complain too). The general assumption is that the questions are accurate. However, is that really so? This inaccuracy is proven by the revelation that...
4. Question 2 was wrong.
Well, Mr Fong just dropped the biggest hint/bombshell. Question 2 is supposedly (with help from, ahem, 'spies and messengers'..) :
"Chairs were arranged into rows. 3/7 of the chairs were arranged into 18 short rows. 1/2 if the chairs were arranged into 7 long rows. The chairs left were stacked up. Each long row had 16 more chairs than a short row. How many chairs in total were arranged into rows? "
That's all Mr Fong can say about his espionage sessions *runs before guilty look consumes his
Disclaimer: This is a piece of fiction, with the callous intention to deceive and mislead. Do take this post with a pinch of salt, unless you want to stumble like a blind drunkard into the PSLE Exam Hall. All of you- the poor, deceived readers- have no right to sue 'Mr Fong' for his spewing of balderdash, for 'Mr Fong' is just a fictional character who does not exist. Any attempts will be met by his bodyguard-cum-lawyer, who is known to be Big, Armed and Dangerous (B.A.D, in short)...
[...]
FYI, in case you were wondering, his B.A.D 'bodyguard-cum-lawyer' does exist. Beware. Be very careful. Be worried.

Stumble It!




33 comments:
ya so easy... pengs le... lol
You've been tagged!
[Link]
I saw this question in the papers as well. Considered difficult?
Bobo, so easy rite!!! ;p Eh,thanks for the tag okay.
Karen, thanks for coming :D Not really, to some should bedifficult, but very common questions.
its been some time since i did math questions... haha. so it seems a bit complicated to me. OH NO! where did all my A1s go? lol.
anyway yeah u're right. in journalism they always take things out of context. i've done it myself too. it's all... part of staying in the game?'
so dun believe everything u read in the papers!
its been some time since i did math questions... haha. so it seems a bit complicated to me. OH NO! where did all my A1s go? lol.
anyway yeah u're right. in journalism they always take things out of context. i've done it myself too. it's all... part of staying in the game?'
so dun believe everything u read in the papers!
Hi just came to say Hi from British Columbia. I was awarded the Mariuca award and saw your blog on it.
Daph, thanks for your views. Indeed, quotes have to sensationalize, and therefore you are right- they do not have an obligation to play everything straight with you. That's just an assumption! :D
Btw, it's ok la, you are an English Major, not a Maths Moron, lol.
Vic Grace, thank you for dropping by, do come by still anytime. Congratulations on your award, have a great Wednesday! :D
Oh no!! Please! No more lesson!
to be honest, Mr. Teacher, I don't read your lesson post.. hahaha..
Am I a bad student?
*run very fast*
Trinity from Rooms of My Heart
O.k. That was waaay too easy Winston. Especially for me. I love your remark suggesting you're onto journalisms ploy to incite emotions in the reader. That's why you can't believe everything you read in the papers. :) That's a generic reply, isn't it? It's meant to distract you from my mental block when I see anything that remotely resembles a math problem. :))
I still enjoyed reading the post, and laughed throughout the passage. Even if I hadn't the slightest idea what you were talking about.
Have a happy Wednesday!
Ann
I pity the poor broken demoralised kids and their poor angry and stressed parents.
It's not the end of the world, for goodness sake.
I saw this pc of qns in the newpspaper quite sometimes back. I understand the qns but my sick mind cant get to work on it at the moment... hehe ;p
Janice Ng
Trin, you are very lazy but Mr Fong, being in a good and magnanimous mood, excuses anyone above the pitiful age of 12 from reading this mathematical jargon if it induces a phobia in them..!!!
Haha, dont you run away so I can see you at EYM more ;p
Ann, u tricked me, LOL! It's ok, as I just said, any one lucky enough not to be 12 is excused, but they must still turn up and not 'pon' (play truant).. Haha..
Thank you anyway for reading, have a wonderful Thursday!!!
ECL, sadly, some parents dont have such a mindset. Sigh. Havn't seen you here for long ;p
Janice, it's ok :D Get well soon Jan!!! Nice to see u back.
omg, winston! i think i hv to resit my classes to answer these questions. It's so difficult. Or maybe i am just plain lazy to get deep into thinking. :P
Jean Chia
Jean, you are always welcome to join EYM sessions*, haha :D
* for students 12 years and below, LOL! :)
Mr. Fong, I like to run away but I always run back here.. :-)
Hahaha I'm so comforted, thanks :)
Hey.. Winston!
You can be the next Albert Einstein! Great mathematicians normally think a lot and can also be difficult to understand - maybe because they employ lots of equations. :-)
I was quite okay in maths during my younger time. However, I had returned almost everything to my teachers since I did not use them - what a shame! :(
Blessings
Let's Acquire Wisdom and Live with Passion
Sam: Haha, it's ok. I dont like these big names, hehe ;p Sorry u didnt understand the post :(
i know how to do those!! post more questions up please!! >.< xinliang
I did da actual paper...only question 1 is right. Question 2 is wrong cos they did not mention rows of 13 and 7 but long rows and short rows. Question three is right but the numbers given are wrong ( i can't remember them ). Btw, thinks for the effort of posting the questions!
I consider these question very easy..
anon: It is...but they weren't the hardest. There are far harder ones that I couldn't publish... ;p
broadcasts tracked judging andheri frequency secures folks genet purcell burning leveragable
servimundos melifermuly
great post. I would love to follow you on twitter.
Amiable dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.
Good morning
We do not agree with this year Brit awards decision.
Please go to see our little survey
http://micropoll.com/t/KDqOnZBCWt
Lady Gaga can not be better than Nina Hagen
Poll supported by BRIT awards 2010 sponsor femmestyle
[url=http://www.femmestyle.ch/earcorrection.html]ohrenkorrektur[/url]
Do you have a burning question we could ask all the stars at The BRIT Awards?
yeah well, the PSLE maths is over so.....BUAHAAHHAHA i dun care, i'm burning my mathematics books.
these are one of the easy questions i did.....but this post was interesting anyways. my psle maths over liao.....so i don't understand y i'm still doin maths
Post a Comment