Sunday, November 18, 2007

I really don't know what to say- Goodbyes are not my strongest point.

Am I burnt out from blogging? Well, it's hard to say. I really do not see the need to provide any more posts, but many friends have emerged. You know who you are, thank you... For just this post, 'Mr Fong' is no more - just an ordinary human being. Considering the fact that I hope don't think I'm an alien...

PSLE results are coming out, and I can feel the nerves fraying. Haha. I can't say it's really unexpected, but I desperately want all of you to do well. Take note of that. Some of you, or in fact most of you, are sad over leaving your boy-friends. Most of you (I hope, hehehe..) are worried about the results.

I really can't say what I expect about your results. Expectations can demoralize you, or lead to the abject disappointment that causes the uproar (but I doubt it would be like post-paper). There are some of you whom I see as 'borderline', but have worked and toiled as the PSLE loomed. I desperately want you all to get your grades. After all, we have poured our sweat and blood into it, havn't we?

There are some of you, the brighter ones, who are much quicker to understand the quick concepts I wanted to impart, but studied less. Well, God is fair. I guess I just have to thank God for your quick mind and intelligence... I can't say you deserve that A*, but for your own good, I sincerely hope you get it. You kids are excellent people to work with, and while you did not really toil and torture yourself to the limits, I hope you do get it. (No, Mr Fong is no sadist.)

I also hope, on a personal level, that those hours of trenching through the stacks of mock exam papers, of marking and digesting each of your your unique strengths and weaknesses, massive sourcing and production of worksheets and questions for your perusal into the wee hours of the morning will pay off. There have been outbursts, small failures and obstacles, and the occasional heartbreak, but God has been faithful, and you have survived the storms with me. These sacrifices of studying time, social life and sleep have been worthwhile, irregardless of the result. You kids have been the best (after Mr Fong himself, hur hur).

Anyway, thank you. Thank you for letting me learn things about myself, for challenging me and my intellectual beliefs beyond the horizons, for teaching me how results are NOT everything. I strongly believe that when I tutor you in Maths, I do not want to leave you as Maths genius but with those ugly personality scratches of chasing excellence blindly. I just hope all of you will go to a school that nurtures you, not only in Maths, but in person.

You have to know this: that I was so proud of you, that none of you crumbled after the paper. While I huffed and puffed through all the ridiculous complaints on forums, you were all studying for your next paper (I presume, haha!), enjoying yourselves like kids should or just relaxing. You absorbed what I told you about the mental preparation. I'm so proud of you, kiddos! (Ya la, I know you all 12 liao la. Haha.)

It has been a mammoth year with you all. Now, it's time to leave it to God.

[...]
Well, I once complained to my father that the results were a long while away. Now it couldn't have come sooner...

P.S. I might be teaching some of you next year, while this post says goodbye to the rest of you. I will remember you, don't worry. You all, coupled with your mischief and misdeeds, will never be forgotten. Rest assured, haha. I'm sorry that I would never be able to keep some of you, for I would be really very busy.

On a personal level, I hope those that tried very hard to retain me will not start haggling about prices all over again as the kids rise up to a new tier of education. I wish for that ounce of respect, for it has been very difficult for my studies and I to continue this vocation, but well, you need the help... I trust that these hanky-panky will not happen again. While I try to be professional, I unfortunately do not like to feel like a pasar-malam... Anyway, Good luck to all of you, my dearest kids :)

24 comments:

Renhao said...

Oh my, so sweet.

English not strong my ass.

xinliang said...

thanks for everything (:

pkm said...

Yes... Goodbyes are always so hard to say..

But tian xia mei you bu shan zhi yan xi, everything good will come to an end.

So haha don't think to much and continue to inspire more students! :D

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Winston, It seems you've been the victim a really bad typo. I had trouble reading my message back to myself on the little message box, so I didn't make a correction. What I thought I wrote and should have been written is, "It looks like everyone hates to see you go, not just me, maybe you should consider writing another kind of blog." The reason I said "maybe you should consider writing another kind of blog" is that I saw that someone suggested you writing another kind of blog instead of leaving, that is if you were leaving because you had stopped tutoring. Oh Winston, I'm so sorry that is the worse typo I've ever seen. I hope you know that I think you're wonderful and would never leave a comment like that one appears. That is scary. I was having such trouble with the little box. I wish it were possible to delete it, and now I'm twice as sad.

Because you're leaving blogging and because you think I think you should go? Oh it's just terrible. I hope you get this comment and can find a way to delete the other one.

Ann

Anonymous said...

Winston, I feel so much better that you knew it was a typo, and I'm thrilled we won't be losing you forever. I loved your post. You can feel the passion and your writing just gets better and better. You are the only math teacher I've ever enjoyed reading. And it wasn't long winded at all. Your sentences are crisp, sharp, and to the point. :))

That's why you need to keep a blog.:)

Thanks Winston for coming back and leaving a comment, it was nice of you.

Have a great night.

Ann

Jos said...

So my dearest blog buddy Winston, you mean there will be no more maths to eat from this blog? That is a pity...
I have enjoyed each and everyone of your posts and I do hope to see you write some more, maybe some place else, maybe some other subject? Take good care of yourself, my friend!
-Jos:))

Anonymous said...

Winston,

I do hope that you find your way back. It seems that many are taking a break from blogging and it is a necessity to get into the realms of the real world.

Maybe the change of scenery will insoire you to blog about something different....who knows?

I wish you well my friend, and hope to see you back at some point :)

PS: there is also a new award for you which you might collect before you disappear: http://grottynosh.wordpress.com/2007/11/16/be-the-blog-and-best-blogging-buddies-awards/

Take care
Colin

Trinity said...

Winston, I don't know why your readers think that you will quit blogging.. you don't, right? You just say good bye to your students, not your readers, right?

I hope you can teach again when you are not so busy anymore, as I see you are a good teacher. I like the part where you thank your students and praise them for some positive things they might not realize.

Teaching is learning.. reflecting and we did learn about ourselves by teaching! As when we teach other we have to teach ourselves as well... teaching good deeds by showing a good example through our life is more important than academic result. I see that you also consider it most important!

Mr. Fong, say good bye is always hard... it's normal to cry at farewell party, isn't it? But I'm proud of you as you've given your best effort to teach your students!

Do continue blogging Mr.Fong... anyway, do continue to do something you enjoy very much, as long as it is not against His Will...

MakeTraffic said...

Hi Winston, i hope you are not quitting blogging and just recharging. It is my wish that you will bounce back (even if it is with a new blog). You have been a wonderful pal encouraging me through my journey of blogging (i thought i have been blogging for a long time but looking back it is only 5 months...but what a wonderful journey!) Take care my friend. Write often ok? Cheers!

MakeTraffic - for more Web Traffic and friends

Sam Chan said...

Hi Winston,

You sound like a bit disappointed with your student result? Well, don't give up!! The world is now lacking dedicated teacher like you.

Remember to focus on how to improve in the future and not on what is over.

Below are two quotes that I hope can inspire you to continue:

“That is the difference between good teachers and great teachers: good teachers make the best of a pupil's means; great teachers foresee a pupil's ends.” - Maria Callas

“Teachers teach because they care. Teaching young people is what they do best. It requires long hours, patience, and care.” - Horace Mann

Blessings to you, Winston.
Let's Acquire Wisdom and Live with Passion

Trix said...

Mr Fong. please say it isnt so :((( I am miserable to hear that you are going to perhaps give up on blogging...I realize it isnt always easy,but Jesse is asking, please dont go...I will miss you and the part you play in it all...Come back, do :)

mr fong said...

Thanks, Farinelli, Englih Sire!!!

mr fong said...

Thank you for everything too, xinliang!

mr fong said...

Thank you for your kind words, pkm!!! =)

mr fong said...

Ann, I always had the feeling it was a typo. Your message was too kind for that typo, and I really appreciate it. You made me smile... :)))))))

mr fong said...

Jos, thanks for your suggestions, you might see Eatyourscience or Drinkyourenglish soon, hehe.

mr fong said...

Colin, you will see me back. And thanks for the award! :)

mr fong said...

Trin, your comment was the pick of it all! Thank you, for your encouragement, your wisdom, and understanding. I appreciate it alot...

mr fong said...

MT: You're too kind! =)

mr fong said...

Sam: Thanks for your quotes. Actually, I'm not too disappointed about the results as they are not out yet... :-)

But nevertheless, you step in with a kind word(s) of wisdom, and thank you for very much i appreciate that!

mr fong said...

Jesse: Thank you for trusting me, I would be back to disturb your blog!

Trix said...

Mr Fong, I hope that you would disturb my blog anytime :)

mr fong said...

Jesse: OK loh.

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Winston, I'm so sad to see that you will not be blogging any longer. You're a one of the kindest people I've had the good fortune to meet and I will miss you. I hope you'll still come by and visit A Nice Place In The Sun and that you'll consider blogging again sometime.

Best Wishes to you Winston.

Ann