In the sunny skies of Singapore, people have commonly been described as being very 'disciplined'. Of course this is a mega-generalization (just look at some students! *ahem*), but that's too bad- we are being known as the 'guai-kias', or as you might say, the disciplined ones.
It is also a common rule, that we are not allowed to spit. OK, that's very obvious. Spit has germs. And when germs eat us up, we get sick. It's a no-no! But... what about speeding?
As I have mentioned before, speeding is also a no-no. But of course, being the very flexible and intelligent citizens, we have managed to bend the rule! So far, Mr Fong has managed (after much probing and probing) to unearth the two magical facts of Speeding. Well, of course that is inevitable, Mr Fong is so alluringly magical... (noooooooo!)
OK, I know that you have not much time. Mr Fong has 24 hours too (and is wasting it in Genting, the Land of Entertainment', and in 'Malaysia-Truly Asia'! So now for the first fact of speed..
1) The paper is only 2h 15 min long. Using what we have learnt in time (have you revised?!), 2h 15 min = 135 minutes. There is very little time to do 48 questions. With the mind-boggling questions like this and this, there is indeed very little time. So, speed up or shape out (ok Mr Fong invented this himself..) !
There is a second principle/ train of thought to 'speed'. Now, put your hands together (not the literal manner) and welcome Mr Fong's 2 tricks always seen in Speed!
--> "Sammy set off from Town A to Town B at a speed of 50km/h. Tom set off in the same direction, 2 hours and 15 minutes after Sammy."
Note number 1: In this question, you are supposed to find the headstart (or in short, distance) of Sammy. This trick is always repeated in different manners. For example, grammatical technicalities like 'later', 'before' etc. are always the same type. The clue is: find the distance!
It is also a common rule, that we are not allowed to spit. OK, that's very obvious. Spit has germs. And when germs eat us up, we get sick. It's a no-no! But... what about speeding?
As I have mentioned before, speeding is also a no-no. But of course, being the very flexible and intelligent citizens, we have managed to bend the rule! So far, Mr Fong has managed (after much probing and probing) to unearth the two magical facts of Speeding. Well, of course that is inevitable, Mr Fong is so alluringly magical... (noooooooo!)
OK, I know that you have not much time. Mr Fong has 24 hours too (and is wasting it in Genting, the Land of Entertainment', and in 'Malaysia-Truly Asia'! So now for the first fact of speed..
1) The paper is only 2h 15 min long. Using what we have learnt in time (have you revised?!), 2h 15 min = 135 minutes. There is very little time to do 48 questions. With the mind-boggling questions like this and this, there is indeed very little time. So, speed up or shape out (ok Mr Fong invented this himself..) !
There is a second principle/ train of thought to 'speed'. Now, put your hands together (not the literal manner) and welcome Mr Fong's 2 tricks always seen in Speed!
--> "Sammy set off from Town A to Town B at a speed of 50km/h. Tom set off in the same direction, 2 hours and 15 minutes after Sammy."
Note number 1: In this question, you are supposed to find the headstart (or in short, distance) of Sammy. This trick is always repeated in different manners. For example, grammatical technicalities like 'later', 'before' etc. are always the same type. The clue is: find the distance!
There are many varieties to this question. Should they ask something like, " At 0900, Sammy travelled...At 0908, Tom set off..", remember, it is the SAME question as the first question!
Another common law of primary school speed: "Tom set off from A to B. Jerry set off from B to A. They met each other at 0900, and A and B are 200km apart."
Note number 2: For 2 people to go in opposite directions, the point where they meet each other is the point where distance by Tom + distance by Jerry = 200 km! This is the point where the total distance travelled by both boys is equal to the total distance.
Remember, that 'meeting' each other is the same as the point where they are seen to 'pass' each other! They are the same, do not have the misconception that passing each other means they do not meet each other! When two people 'pass' each other and 'meet' each other, they are at the same point.
OK, so lecture over. PSLE is now officially 30 days away, and Mr Fong wishes you all luck in your endeavours. Remember the formulas, and you will be fine.. :)

Stumble It!




29 comments:
hey! are you ever going to put my link up? come check out my blog, it is about the elf.
Don't know about you purplefrogcat. First of all when we linked to him, with the exception of the three you see here, he doesn't link back. And we're supposed to leave a comment here to remind him, so that we can boost his comment count at the same time?!
Hi Winston,
Hmmm... huh... it is 112.5km headstart?
Hi Winston,
As with all questions and equations, much is based upon the play of words to throw you off track :)
Interesting post though my friend.
Hello Mr Fong, its really an interesting post, I enjoyed reading it! I hope that you are having a great day! I was also just dropping by to mention that I tagged you in my latest blog post at http://jesseblogs.blogspot.com ...:)
Hello kim...OK, checked out already. So cute...Lol. Hope your boy is fine.
Oops anonymous: I can remove the 3 links if you really do loathe the sight of them. Or you could give me your address so I can link you back?
I think I'm lagging seriously in linking and tags...
Hi Sam: Thanks for trying!Yup, you're right. Hooray, you get to eatyourmaths!
Remember, the headstart is what they always ask for! Indeed, the headstart is, simply put, just the distance.
Thanks for trying, take care and I just came back from your country! :)
Hi Colin: Do feel welcome to try the questions, or you might want to let your daughter try ;p
Yes, indeed so, word play is an important aspect of Maths, especially in the Problem Sums. However, many students fail to notice the similar underlying meanings.
Thank you for your views!
Hi Jesse: Thanks for the tag! I am so lagging,haha...
Thank you once again for your kind comments on this piece. It was done (rather hastily, unfortunately) in a smoky Genting lan shop.
Thank you for your kind wishes, it is holidays over at Singapore while the Maths tutors all suffer :-)
Have a great day, Jesse!
LOL at first I really thought this post would be interestingly related to my blog about the highway of life... then end up talking about maths and EXAMS! OMG.... nice site BTW :)
Highway blogger: Wah, must be the Initial D photo,heh. Oops, now thinking back it must be quite misleading, haha!
OK next time, mental note to self to put a picture of my emo students banging around the cars on PlayStation :P
Winston,I am totally lost! lol! Nevertheless, this post is very well written, and funny. I think you're great. :)
Ann
Ann: It is okay, you are so fantastic at writing, it makes up for maths :P
Thank you for just being here, and for your kind words, they put a smile on my face all the time! :D
Hi Winston,
Great!.. I got it right!
Well, I had given back most of my mathematic stuff to my teachers. I was from double maths class those day! But not that smart like Mr. Fong! :-)
I understand you went to Genting Highlands - Right? Hope you had an enjoyable time!
Best Wishes
Let's Acquire Wisdom and Live with Passion
Hi Sam: Haha, yes you got an Eatyourmaths question correct! Next time I should make a badge for whoever gets it right..Haha.
You know what, Sam? When I finally went to verify your answer, I got 115, and I was wrong! Haha, OK so you're right.
Thanks for trying and commenting and Genting was fun, I go there at least once every 3 months! Hope to see you there next time :P
OK shall not hold you up further, thank you and take care!
Hello Mr Fong, no matter, do the tag in your own time, I too am so lagging! A Genting Lan shop?? Whats that,Mr Fong? Oh and I hope you arent suffering too bady, have a great day over there ! :)
Hello Jesse, thanks :D Your tag put the smile on my face. A genie,haha...I want my wishes too!
Anyway, a Genting LAN shop is an area with all the computers where I can blog when i was overseas there.Don't worry, I am back to face my little, pesky students! Lol.
Where are you from? :)
Hi Winston, this one was easy - I think? That is, if 112.5 is the right answer, lol!
-Jos:)
Hi Jos: Lol, long time no see. Anyway, congratulations, you have got it correct!
OK,now I let you go eatyourmaths.. :D
Take care, and thank you for trying!
Hello Mr Fong...oh, so a Genting LAN is an internet cafe? Interesting..We have then here as well.I am in South Africa ...in cape town.
Have a great day, Mr Fong....and No Detention for any of your students, please.....its too nice a day :)
HI JESSE! :)
So nice to see you around here again.Hmm...Yes, but it is really really expensive in Genting, it's wonderful that you are in Cape Town, how interesting...
Take care, and no, no detention as Mr Fong is now MIA (missing in action) due to another virus!
Good luck Jesse, thanks for the tag!
Hi Winston,
Hey guess what? You've been tagged :o)
http://grottynosh.wordpress.com/2007/09/10/a-truly-magical-visit/
This will be a real merry go round!!
Colin
Wibston,Thank you for faithfully coming by to answer Tuesday's question. You are one of my favorite of favorite people, and I hope you will return next Tuesday!
Bye, and have a fantastic day!
Ann
Ann: No problem, you will see a very irritating Mathematical presence come next Tuesday at your blog :P
Colin: OH no, I am so sorry I missed out on your valuable comment! I am making it up to you now! So sorry!!!
Thank you SO much for always coming over to help out with the blog; you have such a great, huge blog but you bother coming over. I'm touched, and even more still for the tag!
You've made my day, now I will stop giving the detentions for the day ;p
Winston, how have you been? I hope you are not affected by the quake yesterday? Take Care little teacher :)
Janice Ng
Singapore is a FINE country. spit find, speed fine, chew gum fine :P
Janice: I am doing fine, apart from flu bug. Lol. Hope you are doing fine? So kind of you to come over to my blog when you're so worried about your brother, thanks...
Take care too, and thanks for droppin by! :)
Sweetpea: HAHA, your comment made me laugh so much! Lol. Thanks for being such a brightener.
Ya loh, we always kena fine. Mr Fong once got caught for chewing gum in the customs, LOL :P
Thanks for droppin!
Post a Comment